Afternoon tea is a social event which has been a British mainstay for over two centuries; increasing in worldwide popularity as people around the world take their pinkies up for the ceremony and downright fanciful indulgence that usually accompanies the knowledge.
And while formal tea services today are the exception as opposed to the rule, there are still a number of spots around the world where guests can indulge their whimsical side and partake of a fully immersive tea service-finger sandwiches and mini cakes definitely included. Below are some of the greatest luxe hotels where visitors can sip their way through afternoon tea with the trimmings to have an elevated experience that's oh-so Victorian.
Pinkies Up In the Plaza
Iconic NYC institution and uber-elegant establishment The Plaza has long been recognized like a luxe lodging and gathering spot for those searching for everything from a classy stay to a fanciful afternoon sojourn-and the glass-domed Palm Court is one such place where visitors can indulge their inner aristocrat by having an indulgent outing of afternoon tea amid the lush Central Park-inspired decor. There are many options available for that elegant afternoon event which also includes a mouthwatering choice of sandwiches, scones, and sweets.
- Address: Fifth Avenue Central Park South, New York, NY
- Tea Time: 10:30 AM to five PM daily
- Price/Person: The Plaza Signature Tea Service starts at $115/person, add champagne for an additional fee
- Only The very best: The Grand Imperial Tea Service is the ultimate indulgence and is served with caviar, champagne, an array of sweets, and the best quality tea $595 for two
Classic Afternoon Tea In the Biltmore Mayfair
Find your inner Brit within the Tea Lounge at the Biltmore Mayfair, a classic afternoon tea service that's an idyllic setting to carry court having a tea along with a scone. Here, guests can customize their tea-drinking experience with only a cuppa and a sweet, or go all-in by adding a menu filled with authentic English treats (yes, they have those cucumber sandwiches!) For extra elegance, guests can even choose a glass of bubbly to sip while basking in the luxe environs of the Grosvenor Square spot.
- Address: 44 Grosvenor Square, London, W1K 2HP, United Kingdom
- Tea Time: 12:30 PM to five:30 PM daily
- Price/Person: Simple scones and teas are approximately $33/person, as the full afternoon tea (with menu) is approximately $86/person
- Only The very best: Complement your afternoon tea service having a glass of bubbly-the perfect accompaniment to a coronation chicken sandwich About $106/person
Tea And Tradition In the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel
Tea in the luxe Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai is really a tradition that dates back towards the early 20th century and it is still locked in the lovely Sea Lounge-itself almost 120 years of age. Oozing with colonial charm, old-world aesthetics, and a stunning look at the Arabian Sea, there is no better spot to lift up your delicate china mug in salute for this timeless classic. There's even live music, too-fitting for any transition from tea plan to a night time spent watching the ships illuminate the harbor.
- Address: Apollo Bunder, Mumbai, 400 001, India
- Tea Time: 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- Price/Person: Afternoon tea features a delicious buffet stocked with local Indian classics as well as the more traditional English delicacies, and it is approximately $30 (for two)
- Only The very best: Splurge around the Maharaja High Tea which is a princely selection of delicacies fit for royalty that's accompanied by sparkling wine (buffet included as well) About $50 (for two)
Sip A Brew Having a View At Victoria Falls Hotel
Have your cake and eat it too while soaking up the stunning scenery in the outdoor terrace at the Victoria Falls Hotel in Zimbabwe. This timeless tradition is rendered much more elegant because of the Edwardian vibes that permeate this historic spot, and there's no better place to understand the rush of the Zambezi River and also the roar from the falls than while sipping tea on Stanley's Terrace at among the oldest hotels in Africa.
- Address: 1 Mallet Drive, PO Box 10, Victoria Falls, Harare
- Tea Time: 3 PM to six PM daily
- Price/Person: High tea is served with the traditional British accouterment like scones, sweets, and sandwiches and is approximately $15/person
- Only The very best: Upgrade afternoon tea having a glass of champagne or a cocktail
Only The Finest Tea At The Fairmont Empress Hotel
A popular spot famous for a delightful afternoon tea service since 1908, the Lobby Lounge in the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria, Canada ups the ante with its historic setting (you will find a baby grand piano!) and rare, ethically produced Empress tea blends along with a locally-sourced menu. Wish to explore the beautiful grounds? Then break tradition and have a tea to-go and pack an open-air picnic to savor while basking within the hotel's bucolic beauty.
- Address: 721 Government Street, Victoria, British Columbia, V8W 1W5
- Tea Time: Spring/Summer 2022 seatings available from 11 AM to 4 PM daily
- Price/Person: Afternoon tea includes a delectable choice of gourmet sandwiches, scones, and delicious sweet treats About $70/person
- Only The very best: Have a Champagne Tea to remember with a glass of Veuve Clicquot Brut ($97/person), or live the luxe life with Royal Champagne Tea having a glass of Veuve Clicquot Rose ($102/person)
While afternoon tea has its roots in merry old England, it's a tradition that's enjoyed around the world by those looking for a classic way to get fancy with delicate china; strong brews; as well as an variety of delectable treats from sandwiches to scones. An experience all its own, afternoon teas are a convention that is constantly on the delight those looking to raise their pinky and indulge in a special afternoon atmosphere and affectation accompanied by tea and treats.